Why I Believe in Public Education

While everyone was busy paying attention to the aftermath of the George Zimmerman trial, “The Student Success Act” (H.R. 5) quietly passed by a narrow margin in the House of Representatives. This bill is basically reauthorizing the “No Child Left Behind” act that prescribes standardized testing as a panacea to cure the ills of education.

Now, I do understand that in this country we have decided to separate church and state. I agree with this. I don’t believe that teaching religion from a historical perspective or the perspective of understanding other cultures is wrong but to promote any particular religion over another is “un-American”.  After all, this country was founded upon religious freedoms. Therefore, I perfectly understand a parent who wants to send their child to a private school that has the capability to promote one religion over another. I do get that but there is most certainly more than that going on in this country right now. There has been an unfortunate separation between public and private schools and I believe it comes down to money. Standardized testing, punitive measures for struggling schools and diverting funding for Title I (based on economic need) schools is not helping those students who most need the help. We are creating a society of the haves and the have nots. It seems that the have nots keep getting less and less. Shame on us.

I believe that education is the panacea for many of the nation’s problems. Do you want to put an end to racism (or for that matter sexism, anti-semitism, homophobia, etc.)? The solution is quality education for all. Do you want to reduce crime? The answer is quality education for all. Do you want to get people to stop relying on welfare? The answer is quality education for all. Do you want to improve the United State’s economic status in the world? The answer is quality education for all.

Why do you think politicians would want an uneducated populace? Perhaps, it is to keep them in office. With education comes power. We live in America... government of the people, by the people, for the people - not the politicians. Let’s try to keep it that way.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why “Raising Intelligent Kids”?

Malala Day